ABAC IN THE THIRD MILLENNIUM
The 20th century has been tremendously important to Assumption University. AU was established with the mission to provide quality higher education for the youth of the nation. Its functions included the building of a solid base for human resources, research and development, public services and preservation of Thai Art and culture. It was formally established and up to now, the university has been firmly resolved to develop and provide academic excellence along with noble virtues. It has produced 55,596 graduates at bachelor, master and Ph.D. levels.
After its official inauguration and when laboratories, workshops and other resources have been relocated, the Suvarnabhumi campus will be our main campus. It is a complex with beautiful modern buildings that will bear all the vestiges of a true seat of wisdom. This new campus will feature all necessary facilities and encapsulate an academic atmosphere that facilitates and encourages the pursuit of knowledge and the opportunity to experience campus life that will lead to the total development of an individual; the metamorphosis of a novice into a seer and sage. The Suvarnabhumi Campus will be the nation’s citadel of learning, the pride of our students, their parents, alumni, faculty, staff and it was built with a missionary fervor and zeal and is intended to last, millennium after millennium.
Like other sayings, the metaphor “Distance proves a good horse, Time proves a good man” is still true to this day. For almost 30 years, our university has received cooperation from all members and from every constitutive unit in undertaking duties with determination to succeed which were firmly based on ethical and moral values, i.e. goodness, aesthetics, international standards of instruction, etc. Due to our consistent and pragmatic approach, we have set forth many good conditions and criteria that make us proud of our beloved university. The following facts and figures corroborate this statement.
• Assumption University is the First International University in Thailand with a truly International community of scholars from a variety of cultures and with more than 2,700 students from 75 countries. With this kind atmosphere and environment, the University provides the students opportunities to share and exchange academic knowledge, thoughts and ideas, arts and cultural expressions. This helps them live in harmony with fellow human beings in this changing world, and they are thus made ready to take on the challenges of the 21st century with courage and confidence.
The university’s curriculum is designed to meet the dictates and demands of our students who come from all over the world and the market place that covers the entire globe.In order to cater to both local and foreign investors and clients, the students are molded to achieve academic excellence, acquire and master languages, and cyber technology skills.
• Assumption University is the first University in Thailand to incorporate and launch international programs. The university has employed English as the medium of instruction from the beginning and up to now, all our programs at undergraduate, graduate and doctorate levels are conducted in the English language.
• Assumption University is the First University in this country to pioneer and develop information technology, and it became a founding member of the Internet Society in 1993 – the only member in Asia. What is more, Assumption University takes the pride of place as the base of Sun site Thailand, the 9th branch of the world, and the 2nd branch in Southeast Asia. We are also the first site representing the Cisco Networking Academy in this region. All of these features help facilitate students to acquire knowledge endlessly, and all of our students have access to this ocean of knowledge on the magic screen called the Internet.
• Our curriculum is designed for the students not only to obtain a world class quality education but also for them to have high standards in Thai values, such as respect for elders, gratitude for favors, self discipline, benevolence, and politeness. The composite caliber of our students can be tested through those who have been accepted for enrollment in both masters and Ph.D. programs in many world famous universities such as Harvard, MIT, Cornell, Chicago, Columbia, Northwestern, the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Illinois, Imperial College and the University of New South Wales. Furthermore, our graduates are welcomed in many highly important and prestigious institutions such as the Bank of Thailand, Bangkok Bank, Thai Farmers Bank, Siam Cement, and Multinational Companies such as CP and McDonald’s. These ABAC graduates also receive a salary equal to other university graduates from Europe, America and Australia. Incidentally, whenever Thailand is honored to be a host country in any event at the international level such as the World Bank conference and the Asian Games, many of our students are always asked to participate as liaison officers in these events.
• Up to now, the university has produced 35 classes of graduates and we are happy to observe that each and every one of them has a good job and has progressed successfully in their careers. Some of them were able to launch their own business operations. Based on the surveys conducted by the university, we have found that the survey respondents from the first 15 classes of our graduates have been successful in their careers. We cannot but feel proud of them, for we attribute, at least in part, the knowledge, qualification, experiences and skills obtained from the University, which does include English, creative thinking, professional business ethics, high aspirations, and enthusiasm to their success.
Finally, in the recent past, an alumnus by the name of Mr. Wuttichai Snguanwongchai, a member of our 9th graduating class, was appointed by His Majesty the King as Deputy Minister in the Ministry of Industry.
• The University has presented an honorary doctorate degree in Arts (Business English) to the King of Belgium (posthumously) and an honorary doctorate degree in information technology to the Crown Prince of Thailand.
• Her Royal Highness Princess Sirinthorn has graced our campus six times. On 7th November 1990, the Princess came to inaugurate the Coronation Hall, and on 19th January 1995, the Engineering Hall and the Queen’s Tower. On the other two occasions the Princess visited our University with H.M. Queen Fabiola of Belgium. The Crown Princess has also inaugurated the Suvarnabhumi campus in 2002 and launched the Srisakdi Charmonman IT Building in 2004.